Suspect in a deadly U.Va. Custody Shootout – Sentinel and Enterprise

By SARAH RANKIN (Associated Press)

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — Authorities say the suspect in the University of Virginia shooting that killed three members of the football team has been arrested.

The suspect in Sunday night’s shooting has been identified as Christopher Darnell Jones Jr.

Two others were injured in the shooting, which occurred on a student bus returning from an off-campus trip.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s previous story follows below.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — A shooting near a University of Virginia parking lot killed three people, injured two others and sent police on a Monday manhunt for a student suspected of the attack, officials said.

Classes at the university were canceled Monday, following Sunday night’s violence, and the Charlottesville campus was unusually quiet as authorities searched for the suspect, whom University of Virginia President Jim Ryan said. identified as Christopher Darnell Jones Jr.

In a letter to the university posted on social media, Ryan said the shooting happened around 10:30 p.m. Sunday.

The university’s emergency management issued an alert late Sunday notifying the campus community of an “active attacker firearm.” The message warned students to shelter in place following a report of shots being fired on Culbreth Road on the northern outskirts of campus.

Access to the scene of the shooting was blocked by police vehicles on Monday morning. Officials urged students to shelter in place and helicopters could be heard overhead as a handful of traffic and dog walkers moved around campus.

The UVA Police Department posted an online notice that multiple police departments, including the state police, were looking for a suspect who was deemed “armed and dangerous.”

In his letter to campus, the university president said Jones was suspected of the shooting and that he was a student.

“It’s a message every leader hopes they never have to send, and I’m devastated that this violence has affected the University of Virginia,” Ryan wrote. “This is a traumatic incident for everyone in our community.”

Eva Surovell, 21, editor of student newspaper The Cavalier Daily, said after students received an active shooter alert late Sunday night, she ran to the parking lot but saw he was blocked by the police. When she drove to a nearby intersection, she was told to shelter in place.

“I was told by a policeman that the shooter was nearby and that I had to get home as soon as possible,” she said.

She waited with other reporters, hoping for additional details, then returned to her room to begin working on the story. The gravity of the situation was obvious.

“My generation is certainly the one that grew up with widespread gun violence, but that doesn’t make it any easier when it comes to your own community,” she said.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said officers were responding on campus to help with the investigation.

The shooting in Virginia came as police investigated the deaths of four University of Idaho students found Sunday in a home near campus. Moscow Police Department officers discovered the deaths when they responded to a report of an unconscious person just before noon, according to a city press release. Authorities classified the deaths as suspected homicides but did not release further details, including the cause of death.

On April 16, 2007, another university in Virginia was the scene of what was then one of the deadliest shootings in US history. Twenty-seven students and five faculty members at Virginia Tech were shot by Seung-Hui Cho, a 23-year-old mentally ill student who later died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.


The story has been updated to correct that the emergency alert was issued on Sunday evening.


The Associated Press News Research Center contributed to this report.